At this time of the year many of you already have your racing schedule all planned out for 2015. I am still thinking through things. I do know that 2015 will be a year of half-iron distance triathlons. I am thinking about 1-2 half-iron triathlons in the Spring (considering Monticelloman, IM 70.3 Raleigh, or IM 70.3 Eagleman), 1-2 in the Fall (IM 70.3 Augusta), and a couple of Olympics here and there in between (including the Mid-Atlantic Championships in New Jersey).
I have been thinking about my goals for the year, and they are as follows:
1) Have fun racing, in particular by surrounding myself with the DC Tri Club community
2) Race injury-free
3) Finish on the podium at least once during the year
4) Shave 2-4 minutes off my half-ironman (HIM) swim time, shave at least 15 mins off my HIM bike time, and shave ~5mins off my HIM run time.
I am aiming to make big gains on my bike this year, which is my weakest discipline and were the potential for big time savings lies. Here are three things I will do to become a stronger cyclist:
1) Take part in the off-season DC Tri Club Spin Program.
2) Train with riders better than me.
3) Emphasize cycling in my training program.
4) Be smart about picking race course profiles that suit my riding style.
For the first time I am thinking about working one on one with a coach in 2015. I need a coach to help guide my training regimen throughout the year, be a smart triathlete, and keep me injury free!
I wish all my triathlete friends a great 2015 season and I look forward to fun times and great performances together!